Search This Blog

Sunday, May 3, 2020

Someone Saved My Life Tonight

Coco has been dispassionately supervising my cleaning efforts.
Remember that late ‘70s Elton John/Bernie Taupin tune from the album Captain Fantastic and the Brown Dirt Cowboy?
And someone saved my life tonight sugar bear
You almost had your hooks in me didn't you dear
You nearly had me roped and tied
Altar-bound, hypnotized
Sweet freedom whispered in my ear
No, I’m not relating to the lyrics apart from the title line. DID someone save my life last night? Not as such but I’m abundantly lucky to have Jen, Oni and Ten in my life, especially since my concentration continues to be a shaky tangle of hyper kittens on a catnip bender.

100% mind meltdown is mitigated by being able to rant and rave (AKA work through my issues) with them and Janice

Also helping to ease my rabid agitata is the current cleaning, sorting and does-this-spark-joy tossing spree. Amazing how much why-the-fuck-did-I keep-this-shit that I fit into cupboards, closets and drawers.

Another brain balm is John Scalzi’s book Your Hate Mail Will be Graded (found whilst culling the book herd). I want to be as wildly creative and snarkily funny as him when I grow up.

Wut? I’m 61 and, technically, already an adult? Yeah? AND? SO?

The way I first became acquainted with Mister Scalzi’s oeuvre was through this book – a collection of his blog posts from 1998 - 2008. It is ferociously BRILL, especially now, while my focus can be accurately compared to that of a crack whoring bunny rabbit.
I’m sorry, I lost interest in your message after the first paragraph and couldn’t be bothered to finish it. No doubt it was very clever and devastating and if it makes you feel good, please consider me abashed or chagrined or whatever it was you intended me to feel after reading your brilliant scintillating words. In the meantime, allow me to congratulate you on your decision not to breed, as clearly a person of your qualities represents a full stop on the genetic paragraph; the evolution of your line need go no further.
And that’s just the copy from the cover art!

In the Jesus’ Dickheads post, Scalzi points out (amongst other things):
At no point in the Bible does Jesus say “be a dick in My name.”
The third item in How To Send Me Hate Mail is "Prepare to Be Graded."
If I don't think your hate mail is up to snuff, I'll send it back with the suggestion you try harder.
And he gives examples, telling one hate mailer that a "trepanned lemur could do better." Jesus-12 point-Christ, I felt absolutely inspired to send him a ragingly creative bit of vitriol but...but I'm way more in the respect and admire camp. Oh well.

This collection led me to his novels – the hit-me-where-I-live Old Man’s War series, Redshirts, the eerily prescient Lock In, Agent to the Stars and more.

His books help turn down my prodigious angst volume.

On tap for today – more Marie Kondoing, a long, masked walk in the glorious, warm (70ยบ!) sunshine and reading on the porch whilst keeping an eagle eye on the tide (it can go out but it damn well better come back in!).

Cheers.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for posting such a nice article. I will share this article to my friends, Keep posting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful information, wonderful infromation to encourage for improve writing skills and reading. also check my blog and give some suggestions- rajasthan india tour package

    ReplyDelete