Search This Blog

Monday, May 4, 2020

Misunderstood Cuties

My friend Pepé came ‘round this morning to wish Ten a big old Happy Birthday. I told him I’d convey his sunny sentiments (and I did).

Just FYI, skunks are timid, sweet and great help in the garden. They eat grubs, insects and other undesirables (hmmm, wonder if we could get a band of Pepés to pay the Nazi Stupid-Head in the White House a visit) Their stinky defense is only deployed after giving loads of warning – tail, normally down, goes up, they foot stomp, hiss and, sometimes, they’ll break out in handstand action. Yeah, at that point you’re probably doomed to tomato juice baths but just in case, run like hell.

Unlike dogs, cats have a healthy respect for their occasionally aromatic brethren. When a skunk shows up while one of my visitor strays is dining, the kitten, knowing I'm a soft touch and there's always more to be had, will step back, allowing the skunk to graze and gobble.

Having said that, there was one morning, back when we had a whole herd of morning visitor cats – four were happily chowing down when a shy Flower appeared in their midst. Too busy reveling in Fancy Feast and kibble, no one made a move to share. Obvs I had no choice – I went back inside and made Flower a plate. Four cats and a skunk peacefully dining together on my porch. Nice. I felt all Mother Nature/Francis of Assisi-y.

Today’s gonna be another beauty – mid 60s and sunny. I’m gonna take a break from the clean/purge action and go for a long, calming walk.

Calm – it's in woefully short supply lately.

2 comments:

  1. Such a beautiful skunk. We've grown fond of the opossums that visit our yard. They eat a lot of bugs and enjoy kibble, too.

    Huge, bright gold star for your purging and cleaning activities. I've done some Kondo-ing but wish I was more motivated. Paper stuff, ugh.

    The water picture above is so peaceful. I automatically took a deep breath. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Pam!

      I am THE worst with paper clutter! I thought I'd done a thorough purge when TAB died but apparently there's no bottom to the no-longer-needed-paperwork hole.

      We get opossums too. Just FYI, all opossums are named Estelle. I think it's a rule...or something.

      Delete