Search This Blog

Thursday, June 18, 2020

My Ongoing Escapism

Wednesday nights are midweek "tea" times for us Valhallans. Since we’ve been unable to go down to the pub or socialize with other chums here at home, we've decided to have a break-up-the-week treat. Take out and teevee.

Since finishing all the extant eps of Lucifer and Star Trek: Discovery we’ve been hunting new escapist crap to watch. Jen’s hit on just the thing – The Chilling Adventures of Sabrina. She had to talk me into it though. This IS based on the Archie comic book spinoff Sabrina the Teenage Witch after all.


The show:
Imagines the origin and adventures of Sabrina the Teenage Witch as a dark coming-of-age story that traffics in horror, the occult and, of course, witchcraft. (source)
OK, it's very loosely based on the comic. We’re two eps in and I believe this is a keeper. It’s reminding me of Buffy – always a good thing.

The other show is Being Human (UK):

Have you ever heard the one about a werewolf, a vampire and a ghost living together? Well for George, Mitchell and Annie, that’s no joke. It’s their life. The trio share a rented house together, desperately trying to strike a balance between their paranormal problems and domestic challenges that regular humans take for granted. All in the hope of achieving the simple pleasure of Being Human. (source)
So far so good but it’s not lighthearted. It's warm, interesting, engaging and well acted but there aren’t many laughs to be had. We'll see how long this lasts in our line-up.
~~~

In BookWorld, I’m just finishing up two R.S. Belcher novels – The Six-Gun Tarot and Nightwise. I’d anticipated wit if not humor but, if it’s there, it’s dry to the point of unrecognizable desiccation. Yes, both stories are certainly intriguing and the characters are engaging but maybe not quite enough for me. Dunno, I feel I’m at the edge of loving the tales, the writing but there’s something missing from both. I can’t put my finger on what that is.
There are books full of great writing that don't have very good stories. Read sometimes for the story... don't be like the book-snobs who won't do that. Read sometimes for the words – the language. Don't be like the play-it-safers who won't do that. But when you find a book that has both a good story and good words, treasure that book.
~ Stephen King
In the good story and good words–treasure category are Catherynne Valente's Space Opera  and Neal Stephenson’s Snow Crash. Both are, obvs, due for a reread.
~~~

StudioLand – I’ve started two more Medusas. A friend asked me “why Medusa?” It’s how I’m feeling. The snakes are all my fears, rages and general anxieties writhing around my head. I guess these are all selfies. You know The Artist as an Angry, Riled Up Broad: Versions 1—Infinity.

I was doing octopus and squid doodles which were fun BUT, ultimately, not as satisfying for me as people doodles.

Today, I’ll do more damsel drawings, more bean boas and MAYBE I’ll work on my incipient Etsy shop. That, however, does NOT count as escapism – it’s work //shudder//

All profound distraction opens certain doors.
~ Julio Cortázar, Around the Day in Eighty Worlds

No comments:

Post a Comment