Search This Blog

Monday, August 17, 2020

Woke up, got outta bed – YEA me!

Woke with this tune circling my bean:
We are the champions, my friends
And we’ll keep on fighting till the end
We are the champions
We are the champions
No time for losers
‘Cause we are the champions
Of the world
In times of trouble it ain’t Mother Mary who comes to me – fuck no. It’s mia brill famiglia, meine awesome Freunde AND, as Daddy put it, my internal “cheerleader.” Yeah, that RAH, RAH, RAH ROM bitch is hardwired into my OS.

Birds gotta fly, snakes gotta slither, Donna’s gotta self-cheerlead.

Part of the problem with the word ‘disabilities’ is that it immediately suggests an inability to see or hear or walk or do other things that many of us take for granted. But what of people who can’t feel? Or talk about their feelings? Or manage their feelings in constructive ways? What of people who aren’t able to form close and strong relationships? And people who cannot find fulfillment in their lives, or those who have lost hope, who live in disappointment and bitterness and find in life no joy, no love? These, it seems to me, are the real disabilities.
~ Fred Rogers, The World According to Mister Rogers: Important Things to Remember 

It has been said that life has treated me harshly; and sometimes I have complained in my heart because many pleasures of human experience have been withheld from me…if much has been denied me, much, very much, has been given me…
~ Helen Keller, The Open Door

The thing about hearing loss is that no one can see it. Most people are so impatient; they just assume that the person with hearing loss is being rude, or slow-witted.
~ Marion Ross

 But what a humiliation for me when someone standing next to me heard a flute in the distance and I heard nothing, or someone standing next to me heard a shepherd singing and again I heard nothing. Such incidents drove me almost to despair; a little more of that and I would have ended my life - it was only my art that held me back.
~ Beethoven

Every day we should hear at least one little song, read one good poem, see one exquisite picture, and, if possible, speak a few sensible words.
~ Goethe

I have the Asperger’s syndrome and that means I’m sometimes a bit different from the norm. And - given the right circumstances - being different is a superpower. It makes you think differently. And especially in such a big crisis like this one we need to think outside the box. We need to think outside our current system, that we need people that think outside the box and who aren’t like everyone else.
~ Greta Thunberg

The body as home, but only if it is understood that bodies are never singular, but rather haunted, strengthened, underscored by countless other bodies.
~ Eli Clare, Exile and Pride: Disability, Queerness, and Liberation

No one is useless in this world who lightens the burdens of another.
~ Charles Dickens

I’m not in total control, I can’t ease the burdens/fix the probs/heal everyone I love – GODDAMMIT. I can make an effort, do what I capable of (and I’m a creative fuck. That helps, eh?) First, I gotta take care of my own banjaxed bod.

That involves patience. Possibly there’s an online sale on that shit at Target?

2 comments:

  1. "Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes." ---Jack Handy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!

      Thank you!

      Delete