Search This Blog

Tuesday, February 16, 2021

Randomness

I woke this morning and nearly tipped over the coffee sitting only bedside table. Naturally, this song instantly came to mind:

I was once out strolling one very hot summer's day
When I thought I'd lay myself down to rest
In a big field of tall grass
I laid there in the sun and felt it caressing my face
As I fell asleep and dreamed
I dreamed I was in a Hollywood movie
And that I was the star of the movie
This really blew my mind
~~~
Spill the wine, take that pearl…
~ WarSpill the Wine

It may help to understand human affairs to be clear that most of the great triumphs and tragedies of history are caused, not by people being fundamentally good or fundamentally bad, but by people being fundamentally people.
~ Neil Gaiman, Terry Pratchett, Good Omens: The Nice and Accurate Prophecies of Agnes Nutter, Witch

This story is not and never was meant to challenge anyone's faith; however, if one's faith can be shaken by stories in a humorous novel, one may have a bit more praying to do.
~ Christopher Moore, Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal

“This Snow Crash thing--is it a virus, a drug, or a religion?”

Juanita shrugs. “What's the difference?”
~ Neal Stephenson, Snow Crash

Are you kind enough, on your little planet, not to shut that rhythm down? Not to crush underfoot the singers of songs and tellers of tales and wearers of silk? Because it's monsters who do that. Who extinguish art. Who burn books. Who ban music. Who yell at anyone with ears to turn off that racket. Who cannot see outside themselves clearly enough to sing their truth to the heavens. Do you have enough goodness in your world to let the music play?

Do you have soul?
~ Catherynne M. Valente, Space Opera

The problem with aging is not that it's one damn thing after another—it's every damn thing, all at once, all the time.
~ John Scalzi, Old Man's War

No sapient could sustain happiness all of the time, just as no one could live permanently within anger, or boredom, or grief.
~ Becky Chambers, The Long Way to a Small, Angry Planet

Reality is like a fruitcake; pretty enough to look at but with all sorts of nasty things lurking just beneath the surface.
~ A. Lee Martinez, Gil's All Fright Diner

Take a little trip, take a little trip
Take a little trip and see
Take a little trip, take a little trip
Take a little trip with me
~ WarLow Rider

To practice any art, no matter how well or badly, is a way to make your soul grow. So do it.
~ Kurt Vonnegut

And a few from Douglas Adams. Sorry for the linky lack this morning. I’ll add them in later when my energy level rises.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
~The Long Dark Tea-Time of the Soul

I love deadlines. I love the whooshing noise they make as they go by.
~ The Salmon of Doubt

The story so far:
In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.
~The Restaurant at the End of the Universe

No comments:

Post a Comment