Search This Blog

Monday, March 14, 2022

Being

I need a vacation…from my life. NO I’m not saying I want to croak. FUCK NO. I just need a couple weeks where, fer instance:

  • Cake has the same number of calories and all the healthful properties of blackberries, spinach and almonds. On this holiday, the act of consuming a lovely, fat wedge of cake will burn the same amount of lard off my butt as an hour on the elliptical. Of course.
  • I have a solid 24/7 week of floating in a silica rich geothermal Icelandic lagoon…with no other people around.
  • I can sit on the beach breathing in the gorgeous scents of springtime ocean, undisturbed, for hours on end.
  • I want to go clothes shopping on Newbury Street and artsy crap browsing in Porter Square, Cambridge. After that I'll head up to The Burren in Davis Square, Somerville for a plate of fish and chips (or fission chips) and a nice shot or three of Jamo.

And I want to be able to do all this without my walker or wheelchair. This holiday from myself means that I'm able to walk on my own, hear music AND have energy for days and nights chock-full of adventure. Plus, the part of my bean that worries so much about family, friends and the world around us all will be unplugged or at least very quiet.

After a while, just staying alive becomes a full-time job. No wonder we need a vacation.
~ Michael Zadoorian

Each person deserves a day away in which no problems are confronted, no solutions searched for.  Each of us needs to withdraw from the cares which will not withdraw from us.
~ Maya Angelou

A journey of a thousand miles must begin with a single step.
~ Lao Tzu 

No comments:

Post a Comment