Search This Blog

Monday, April 18, 2022

Monday

It’s the start of my first full, five day week of radiation. I’m NOT psyched about this and that’s entirely due to the commute. If the damn hotels around MGH weren’t so astronomically pricey AND we could bring Coco with me, I’d stay in town M-F. 

The closest joint, the Liberty Hotel, which is right next door to MGH, would  be fabulous BUT…the joint would run us $507 a night. AND their website is entirely unclear as to whether Coco could stay too—I'm not going anywhere without my girl. At over $2,000 (which doesn’t include meals and tips) for a measly four night stay, we should be able to keep a whole shelter worth of kittens in the room.

Sure, Ten, Coco and I could stay at Cambridge’s Fairfield Inn which is almost half the price of the Liberty, pet friendly and offers a complementary breakfast. Still, it’s far enough from Proton Central that we’d need to cab it OR drive and pay for parking. We’d still be spending well over a 1,000 bones for just one week’s stay.

Nuh-uh. No can do.
I found a pet friendly, reasonably priced (per night) airbnb apartment that’s within MGH walking distance. Sounds great, right?  Two probs:

  • We’d need a place to stash Bix for the week and, sadly, the place doesn’t include parking.
  • There’s a 40 (FORTY!) night minimum. A) We’d only need the place for four nights out of each week and B) I have five more weeks of radiation so that comes out to 20, not 40 nights.

Before the parking issue is even sorted, we’ve rung up a bill for 8.2 Gs.

HAH…no.

I have a friend who kept a studio apartment on Beacon Hill for nights when he’d get stuck at the office too late to catch a train home. I’d ask to borrow BUT the condo’s a fourth floor walk-up. I’m doing much better with stairs, thank you, but not four flights, twice a day minimum better. Also, he’s retired now so has probably sold the place.

There’s always some damn catch, eh?

I have 25 more proton sessions to go. That’s five week’s worth of brutal (90 minute inbound) commutes. I can do this. It’ll be monstro annoying BUT doable.

No comments:

Post a Comment