Search This Blog

Tuesday, April 19, 2022

Waiting

As you may recall (or not), I was raised Catholic, complete with seven years of parochial schools with requisite ruler wielding nuns just itching to smack my wrists for…dunno. Breathing?

I kinda feel like, right now, I’m in Purgatory or maybe this is Limbo. Warum?

  • I won’t know if this proton radiation shit has done the job of halting the growth (let alone shrinking) of that mass of meningiomas wrapped around my thoracic spine until the end of August. That’s when my next MRI is. At least I *think* that’s when I’ll get the word.
  • I won’t know how much time I have left with my precious Princess Coco until she starts exhibiting more/greater symptoms of the cancer that’s riding her. I don't want bigger symptoms of her impending demise to present but waiting is the hardest part.

What is Purgatory?

According to the The Compendium of the Catechism of the Catholic Church:

Purgatory is the state of those who die in God’s friendship, assured of their eternal salvation, but who still have need of purification to enter into the happiness of heaven.
OK, Purgatory has the waiting bit but purification? Thank you but I 'm rather fond of my crude, rude state.

What is Limbo?

Merriam Webster says it’s:

1: an abode of souls that are, according to Roman Catholic theology, barred from heaven because of not having received Christian baptism.
2a : a place or state of restraint or confinement
b : a place or state of neglect or oblivion
c : an intermediate or transitional place or state
d : a state of uncertainty
**DING**DING**DING**

We have a winnah! I’m in definitions 2c and 2d Limbo.

This is a waiting room with three year old People magazines, Better Homes and Gardens, Business Post and Golf Digests (what could be more boring than playing or watching this rich man’s game? Reading about it). There’s no WiFi (but my cell battery’s just about dead anyway) and I forgot my latest ripping yarn at home. This is a small, crowded, windowless waiting room with an Aqua Netted, gum chewing receptionist who took a bath in Britney Spears Fantasy Eau De Parfum this morning.

I hate waiting.

No comments:

Post a Comment