Search This Blog

Wednesday, February 8, 2023

Wednesday Bits

I didn’t go out for a walk yesterday. I DID however, spend the better part of 45 minutes scrubbing the bathroom tiles (and grout) with a bleach/baking soda paste. That, like totally, counts as exercise so I don't feel too desperately guilty about the walking insufficiency. 

By the by, the tub and shower look fabola now.

Before that and after Cake’s doctor’s appointment, my beautiful trickster and I were exhausted and just had to take a nap. Ten did the hard work at the exam, he kept our boy calm—patting him, keeping an arm around him and just standing close when the vet and assistant needed full access.

Our dark chocolate Cake is healthy. More tests will be done but there were no obvious, weird anomalies or red flags.
PHEW! 

Angel boy mebbe needs to lose a pound but that’s about it. Frankly, I don’t think he needs to drop any weight at all. He’s just a touch husky is all. Actually, he's wonderfully robust. So there.
~~~
Two scientists walk into a bar, one scientist asks for H2O, the other says, “I’ll have H2O2” then he died.

The barkeep says, “we don’t serve time travelers here.”
A time traveler walks into a bar.

A man walks into a bar carrying a set of jump leads. The bartender says “Oi, I don't want you starting anything.”

A priest, minister and a rabbit walk into a bar. The bartender asks the rabbit “What’ll ya have.” The rabbit shakes his head and says, “I have no idea. I’m only here because of auto-correct.”
~~~
Why can I never remember Leo Kottke’s name. Mind you, I only had one of his albums (That’s What) but I was totally wild about his playing.  He and Richard Thompson are/were my absolute favorite acoustic guitarists. I was lucky enough to hear them both live (separately—two different concerts) and, if I shut my eyes, I would’ve sworn on a stack of thesauri that there were two guitarists on stage, not one. Such balletic grace, style and ultra-serious chops.

Favorite electric guitarist? Dunno. The first one who comes to mind is Jeff Beck. Second? Hendrix. Third? Rich Gilbert. Who are your favorites?

~~~
There’s a huge abandoned tuberculosis sanitarium just 18 miles outside Berlin. Interestingly, until the end of World War I, the sanatorium was also used to house prisoners of war.

And then:

From the end of World War II until the 1990s, the Soviet Armed Forces used the sanatorium as a Soviet military hospital. (source)

After the Russian forces moved out the joint was back in German hands. Great BUT apparently the Russians hadn’t done a lick of maintenance, updating or repair work making the hospital, pretty much, unusable.

Now, it’s a tourist spot—a place for photographers and people, like me, who appreciate old, derelict, forgotten places. Next time I’m visiting Della and Martin we’ll absolutely have to go there!

1 comment:

  1. “The distancing isn’t helping you that much and it’s also giving you a false sense of security because you’re as safe at 6 feet as you are at 60 feet if you’re indoors,” MIT engineering professor Martin Bazant, who authored the study
    https://www.healthline.com/health-news/staying-6-feet-apart-often-isnt-enough-during-covid-19-pandemic

    ReplyDelete