Search This Blog

Wednesday, December 6, 2023

Snowy Music

Godzilla in snow
Nothing like a night full of solid sleep and a little snow to amp up my near comatose energy levels. Today, I may actually get some shit done instead of just reading and doomscrolling in bed.

You meet saints everywhere. They can be anywhere. They are people behaving decently in an indecent society.
~ Kurt Vonnegut

There’s a person (a saint) on Threads who posts images of the latest Republi/Facist to say or do something utterly boneheaded along with some on-target song lyrics. Yes, it’s witty but these posts also put some great tunes in my bean. The other day they hit a hat trick of fabulous. There was Diamond Dogs, Walk This Way and Fast Car by Tracy Chapman. Jesus, I could actually hear Chapman’s brilliantly deep, resonating warm voice. I don’t think I’ve had one of her songs on the old internal turntable in the 19 years since my sound system took the last train to the coast (okay, the coastline is across the street from me so it’s not a long trip). “Hearing” her voice again, after nearly two decades, was a wonderful surprise.

One good thing about music, when it hits you, you feel no pain.
~ Bob Marley

Godzilla without snow
That’s for damn sure. Music is a panacea. Alright, maybe it doesn’t cure all ills but it sure as fuck makes this insane world easier to bear, to navigate.

Music was my refuge. I could crawl into the space between the notes and curl my back to loneliness.
~ Maya Angelou

Same.

Music is my religion.
~ Jimi Hendrix

People haven't always been there for me, but music always has.
~ Taylor Swift

Music has healing power. It has the ability to take people out of themselves for a few hours.
~ Elton John

Music is the melody whose text is the world.

~ Arthur Schopenhauer

Lean your body forward slightly to support the guitar against your chest, for the poetry of the music should resound in your heart.
~ Andres Segovia

I think it was my father (but maybe it was me), who said that really good music should be felt in your sternum (or thereabouts). I’ll take that one step further—great, curative music is felt on a molecular level. It’s oxygen for the soul.

Randomly, do you think Segovia ever got down and shredded?

No comments:

Post a Comment