Search This Blog

Thursday, May 16, 2013

Art Surprise -- The Artists Hand Gallery

While visiting my father in that small Western Pennsylvania town where he resides, I happened on a lovely bit of wonderment. Art!

Specifically, The Artists Hand Gallery.  It’s an art gallery/coffee shop which provides all kinds of cool workshops for children and adults. There’s also studio space for rent in the building. Too cool and wholly unexpected! An oasis.
Jolene Joyner

What struck me, when I first walked in, was the lay out. Each sculpture, painting and pot had a fair amount of space around it -- no crowding. Then there’s the altitudinous ceilings -- beautiful! If I lived in the area, I’d be proud to show my work here.

Not that they’d necessarily want to rep me given my propensity for nudes.

Galleries are businesses and like any enterprise, they need to bring in the rent semolians if they want to stay afloat. A small town gallery must consider it’s audience if it wants to survive. NO this doesn’t mean that you can only show paintings of saucer eyed fluffy kittens on pillows or sketches of adorable ragamuffins.

Goodness no and The Artists Hand Gallery proves it.

I fell in love with Jolene Joyner's brushstroke and Charles Battaglini's color and style. I look forward to seeing more of Betty Hedman's clay work and Trish Dodson's paper creations.

Charles Battaglini
If you're in the Pittsburgh area and have a free afternoon, the gallery is totally worth the hour and a half drive (three hours round trip).

PLUS, just across the street there's a drugstore with a lunch space. The coffee and cookie were fab but, better yet, man behind the counter knew some sign! In a weekend heavily loaded with lip reading and lipreading attempts, this was a major relief for this deafie.

Oh and they had paintings on their walls too. I was totally taken with this one -- at left. I wish I'd gotten the artist's name.

Next time. Next time I will.


No comments:

Post a Comment