Search This Blog

Sunday, September 12, 2021

The Unending Teen Years

In social media hell it seems we're all still in middle school.

  • I bet people won’t repost this
  • Please repost this
  • How many of my friends are brave/caring/good enough to repost this
  • If I can get XXX more people to repost this Timmy-won’t-die-in-the-well/Lassie-will-find-Timmy-just-in-time

ENOUGH with the jejune manipulative bullshit. I imagine your cause might actually be good and righteous—a lot of people WILL want to repost without the puerile prompt. Here’s the deal though, you put that eighth grade Machiavellian act in and I, most def, will NOT repost.

Why’s this come up now? All the tub-thumping NEVER FORGETs of yesterday. Let those who actually lost loved ones, their health, jobs and/or homes grieve as they need to. Don’t crowd their social media feeds with cheap, gimcrack empathy.

I’m old enough to remember all the emotional cripples who just HAD to insert themselves, somehow, into the horror of that day and all the ones after. They knew someone whose 3rd cousin once removed knew someone who once walked into one of the towers.

The biggest offender? TFG who had to claim he was at Ground Zero and sent hundreds of men to help ‘clear the rubble.’ Nope, he was in that gold plated monstrosity of an apartment crowing that he now had the tallest building in NY.

AND not to be generous but at least he lived in NYC and had a view of the horror.

Why do people, who are no more than tangentially or not at all involved in devastating major league traumas so hot to claim involvement? Are their lives so small, unsatisfying and dull? If so, they could become hospital or nursing home workers in this exhausting, horrifying COVID age. They could become teachers or flight attendants. Fer fuck’s sake, you want scary excitement, there’s no lack of that in this world.

I’ve gone way off topic though.

Do NOT try to guilt me into supporting your cause, no matter how honorable it may be. If you try to get me on board with childish games, I’m gone.

Sure, I’ve reposted a couple memes with that stupid tag. The memes were just too good or witty not to. Now when I see one, I pass it by or recreate it without the asinine footer.

This goes for lists too. The ones that begin with ‘who of my friends will play?’ Aside from being a little suspect (can this info be used to hack my account or any of my financial info?), if you want me to play INVITE me! I’m a bit old for this coy crap.

The other two things that annoy the shit outta me seem to only happen on the bird app.

1) People beg for followers. Ya know, if you post interesting or funny bits on the regular, I probably will. If you just plead for numbers, I’m gonna pass you by in a red hot second.
2) People who cry that it’s their birthday and no one’s sent them greetings. Huh.
    A) You’re not my bestie so HOW WOULD I EVEN KNOW.
    B) I’m sorry you’re so lonely and needy but, dear person with whom I’ve never exchanged even one word, I’m not inclined to water and feed your ego.
Some folks never get past their early teens.

No comments:

Post a Comment