Search This Blog

Thursday, September 15, 2022

Brainzzzzzzz

I had my Intro to Chemo appointment yesterday. As it turns out, this whole deal won’t be as simple as just popping an extra pill with my morning tea and meds.

I need to be closely monitored for nasty side effects. SOME of the most common (and less heinous) include diarrhea, sore muscles, fatigue, headaches and nausea. Joy.

Before I can even begin Brigatinib (the chemo med), Plotkin’s awesome nurse practitioner, Christina, needs to contact my health insurance providers to find out if they’ll cover it. WHY the fuck would they NOT cover it? Brigatinib is a cancer drug. I don't have cancer, just an out of control tumor fctory
Brigatinib is used to treat a certain type of non-small cell lung cancer (NSCLC) that has spread to other parts of the body. Brigatinib is in a class of medications called kinase inhibitors. It works by blocking the action of an abnormal protein that signals cancer cells to multiply. This helps slow or stop the spread of cancer cells. (source)
Using it to treat my pesky neurofibromatosis type 2 is, I guess, still new and  slightly experimental or something.

If she can’t get insurance approval, my understanding is that she’ll get the makers to supply a whole bunch of free samples…or something.

At this point the idea is for me to be on Brigatinib for a limited period of time—possibly a year or less. It all ultimately depends on whether the shit works on halting growth (and maybe even reducing the size) of that frontal lobe motherfucker. If it doesn’t, I’ll be having more brain surgery within the coming year (everyone’s gotta have a hobby, right? Surgery seems to be mine).

If the chemo DOES work on stopping the growth (and possibly even reducing the size) it’s likely to also work on the monster clinging to my thoracic spine. Yes, I’ve had surgery on that sucker. It’s been protoned. NOW it’s getting some chemo action. Apparently I’m on the belt, suspenders and elastic band tumor reduction scheme.

Honest to fuck, I’d REALLY and TRULY love to have some Star Trekian action RIGHT NOW.

Stealing from the original series:

Patient: Doctor.
Dr. McCoy: What's the matter with you?
Woman Patient: Brain…Nf2…need surgery.
Dr. McCoy: Brain surgery? My god, what is this, the Dark Ages? Here, you swallow that. If you have a problem, just call me.

No comments:

Post a Comment