Search This Blog

Monday, February 26, 2024

Monday

 I’m leaving in moments for MGH. I’m meeting my new surgeon, Dr. Curry, at 10. I haven’t heard back from my neurologist’s office yet about moving my MRIs up from May to now-ish, so I doubt we’ll be picking an OR date. This is good. I mean…lemme ease into this magical mystery tour of new brain surgery techniques. It’s only Monday and it’s still motherfucking winter. I need a little more time to ramp up my courage. Okay?!
The world is full of evil and lies and pain and death. And you can’t hide from it. You can only face it.  The question is, when you do, how do you respond? Who do you become?
~ Phil Coulson, Agents of S.H.I.E.LD
Did you know?
MIT researchers now know not only that rats dream, but what they dream about. Neurons in the brain fire in distinctive patterns while a rat in a maze performs particular tasks. The researchers repeatedly saw the exact same patterns reproduced while the rats slept—so clearly that they could tell what point in the maze the rat was dreaming about, and whether the animal was running or walking in the dream. The rats’ dreams took place in an area of the brain known to be involved with memory, further supporting a notion that one function of dreams is to help an animal remember what it has learned.
~ Sy Montgomery, The Soul of an Octopus: A Surprising Exploration into the Wonder of Consciousness
Fascinating, eh? Alrighty then, that’s it from Nf2 Central. Ta!

No comments:

Post a Comment