Search This Blog

Monday, August 19, 2024

Notes from Birthday Land

It was a quiet day here in Birthday Land yesterday. This is appropriate given that I am officially older than dirt, flutes, and weed.* Also, it was rainy which put the kibosh on my plans for a walk. Unlike perpetually whining Donnie Demento, I wasn’t worried about the dead ferret on my head getting wet. Why not? I don’t wear ferrets, living or croaked, to cover my bald spots.

My day was wonderfully blessed with good wishes and prezzies. Ten further pimped out my ride (the rollator) with a pair of large green fuzzy dice. Now, I just need air shocks to be a real low rider! Jen got me a fabulous T-shirt AND a lovely orca. I’ve named him Oscar. Given a little time, I’m sure Cake and Oscar will get along fabulously.

Also, there was awesome carrot cake from Saint Fratelli's and fish reubens from Off the Hook. All this was topped off with a couple eps of What We Do in the Shadows, Reginald the Vampire and a shot of Jameson.

In the past I've celebrated my natal anniversary for weeks on end. This year, I imagine will be somewhat abbreviated and more low key. I'm nowhere near as social OR able as I once was. Also, there's only so much birthday cake I can eat. NO, it's TRUE!

I grabbed a pile of dust, and holding it up, foolishly asked for as many birthdays as the grains of dust, I forgot to ask that they be years of youth. 
~ Ovid, Metamorphoses

With mirth and laughter let old wrinkles come.
~ William Shakespeare, The Merchant of Venice

And I rose
In rainy autumn
And walked abroad in a shower of all my days...

~ Dylan Thomas

* Nearly two pounds of still-green plant material found in a 2,700-year-old grave in the Gobi Desert has just been identified as the world's oldest marijuana stash, according to a paper in the latest issue of the Journal of Experimental Botany. (source)

No comments:

Post a Comment