Search This Blog

Friday, May 29, 2020

Social Crapoli

Why am I on Shoutyface? My original thought was that I’d use it as a way to advertise and market my art. Yeah, that hasn’t worked out. Why? Because I haven’t really made any efforts – I suck mondo bantha wang on the self promo front.

So, why bother sticking around? Surprising to my misanthropic self, I enjoy the social connections – meeting new people, discovering old chums and acquaintances. I like the easy, casual quality. No need to compose a letter or a substantive and informative email. I can just pop off a random, one sentence post or share the cool or infuriating shit I’ve been reading. And pics – I can share my sunrise and see other people’s views too.

This has felt pretty damn important with the ongoing stay-at-home business.

So, why do I now want to leave.


I didn’t realize the extent to which the CEO, Zuckerberg, is a soulless, tendentious, water carrying renfield for Trump – the Asshole Who Would Be Dictator.
Trump’s new executive order enshrines the hallowed principle that he and other conservatives should be able to lie and spread disinformation on social media without any fear of moderation that might challenge, fact-check or correct those lies. (source)
A hallmark of authoritarian regimes is to call truth into question — except as the regime defines it.
~ Glenn Kessler
 Zuckerberg is fully on board. While, out of one side of his face, he says:
“People need to feel that global technology platforms answer to someone, so regulation should hold companies accountable when they make mistakes,” Mr Zuckerberg wrote. (source)
Out of the other:
Two years after admitting under political pressure that Facebook must do more to prevent disinformation campaigns on its platform, founder Mark Zuckerberg told Fox News on Thursday that the company should step away from regulating online speech.
~~~snip~~~
“I just believe strongly that Facebook shouldn’t be the arbiter of truth of everything that people say online,” Zuckerberg told Fox News. “Private companies probably shouldn’t be, especially these platform companies, shouldn’t be in the position of doing that.” (source)
 Weasel words. (banned Project Lincoln vid here)

So, regulation and preventing disinformation campaigns should NOT involve putting up teeny weenie notes advising readers that they MIGHT want to fact-check the words of an infamous lying sack of rabid squirrel feces. It DOES however necessitate allowing said fabulating, smelly dumpster brain’s (and his cult of sycophantic pukes) rampant spewing of explosive, tsunamis of diarrheal snake shit lies all over the site.

Gee, do I have that right, Zuck? Since this one’s not about your precious leader’s lies, I’m guessing you’re cool with it being wallpapered all over your site – right?

Now on to the important part! Since I recognize and admit that I enjoy the social, friendly aspects of Trumpbook (as my friend Steve refers to it), I want to find someplace new. The site MakeTechEasier.com has a helpful post up, Fed Up with Facebook? Here are 6 Alternatives. They provide links and brief descriptions about each.

All six look interesting. I’m gonna dig deeper over this weekend. Of course, the main prob, at first, is that most of my pals aren’t there. Yet! In time I’ll, likely, make new buds but also, mebbe some of my Shoutyface pals will migrate too.

It COULD happen!


No comments:

Post a Comment