Search This Blog

Wednesday, August 22, 2018

Inside-Baseball

Bewilderment happens.

I can track some of my stats here at Tell Me a Story. Things like:
This last one audience/countries of origin is, lately, thoroughly baffling me.

I get that a lot of visitors are just spammers looking for comment sections where they can dump their loads of steamy dross. I’ve whinged on about this before...a couple times. Here’s the thing though – I almost never get spam comments anymore BUT, at the same time, I'm seeing odd seeming influxes.

Periodically I’m swamped with Russians. Dunno where in Russia – no comments from them. Not even a speck of spammage. Given the news – hackers, bots and nefarious tinkers – well, I wonder. Maybe I should post a big banner at the top proclaiming NO STATE SECRETS HERE.

I rilly don’t understand. While I occasionally wax on about U.S. political heinousosity,
Tell Me a Story will never, EVER be confused with The Nation, Feministing, Think Progress or The Washington Post. My political commentary is purely of the informed, sane yet colorful personal rant variety. Do they come for my elaborate (and, I gotta admit, talented) use of inventive swears, slaps, derision and general cheap shots?

Lately I’ve been seeing a lot of hits from Italy. Vietnam has just begun showing up and the Ukraine too. Also  “Unknown Region.” There ain’t NOwhere on the planet that’s unknown anymore. ‘the fuck?! WHERE is this Unknown Region – who are they? Dammit, I wanna know!

I understand why I get hits from Germany – I have friends and family there. Same for France and the UK.

I guess my puzzlement all comes down to this – why do people read me?

2 comments:

  1. I've given up on my stats. I'll get 27 page views one day, then 400 page views in the middle of the night at exactly the same moment, and then my usual 120 or so the next day. I assume it's the Russians hoping to screw with the results of the Fall election. And if it is, then they are REALLY covering their bases.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :-)
      Yes indeedy – if it's them, they're really doing some serious researching.

      Delete