Search This Blog

Sunday, December 2, 2018

The Show

James Polisky's talkin' to ME!
Sadly, I’m SO over this show. The Foundry Artists Association holiday show has been an annual, big fun event for Jen and I. Gawking at aisles of artists' and craftspersons’ brill work (and taking some home too!) has been tremendously, mega cool AND personally inspirational for my own work.

This year though, apart from a few, the offerings were pretty but pretty damn tame. You know, the kind of work that matrons from ultra posh, suburban Weston, Wellesley or Dover might buy to ornament their million+ dollar cottages, Ya know, just for a touch of color and elegantly safe creativity, in order to convey a slightly exotic, I’m-not-REALLY-dull-as-dirt, artsy air.

Yeah, ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ!!!

The joint was MOSTLY stocked with the sorts of things you might find in high end U.S. hotels. Nice but unadventurous versus the MUCH more visually bold and daring art found in similarly prced Dublin lodgings.

Anotha thing, with few exceptions, most artist’s prices were through the roof. Much higher than previous years. I imagine table fees have rabidly increased, which means vendor prices have, naturally, got to shoot up. Joy.

Now then, after a couple years I’ve learned to not even bother looking at the jewelers’ offerings here. They’re, generally, blindingly expensive, often mundane but sometimes alluringly imaginative. Plus, there’s always a crowd around their tables and I don’t do crowds. Dig?

I love perusing the fabric artists' work BUT they’re out of my price range too. Love Red Rover’s coats and hats but my wallet does not. Also too, I have a beautifully fab, warm and comfortable winter hat now. My awesome pal Michal knitted it for me!

Sadly missing was Belinda Gabryl. I SO wanted to replace my WAY unhappily shattered sugar skull shot-glass. Sure, I could buy one online BUT each one is different – I need to see and hold them in order to know which sugar skull’s calling my name. I’d also hoped to bring home one of her tiles which are also available online BUT her website doesn’t provide size or pricing info. There’s a contact the artist page but, last time I did that, it was at least a couple months before she responded. By then, I figured I’d wait for this year’s show, which she wasn’t at. I haz a sad.

My other total faves WERE there AND their prices were still bearable for my small budget.

James Polisky fer instance. I so wish I could afford one of his big framed prints BUT I’ve kinda run outta room in my wee cottage for big art anyway. I already have a bunch of his small (5”x7” ish) cards but couldn’t, particularly now that I’m here in Recovery World, resist a couple more.

Flynn's MIA beauteous mugs
Stephanie Mason (AKA the Fish Print Lady) was there. First off, lemme just tell you, she’s wonderful and warm and I’m happy to have met her. On top of her MUST have tiles, she has cards (yes, I bought a pack), AND mugs. Having already maxed my budget for the day, I asked where else I could find her work. The Cambridge Artists Cooperative, located just a block or two away from the Harvard Square Red Line stop is one of the places she mentioned. After she said that, my brain kinda shut off (seeing as that's the most convenient place for me).

Lynne Lovely of Lovely Glassworks  was there. Of course I bought another one of her beautiful stars. I liked her fish too but not enough to part with the spondulicks. Most of the rest of the work she had on display struck me as kinda meh. Those stars are BRILL though!

Sheilagh Flynn was there but none of her tiles or wall pieces screamed Take Me Home. I’d hoped to buy one of her gorgeous mugs but I guess she doesn’t make them anymore. I haz another sad

My friend Brenda of Jasmine Keane Jewelry and Accessories wasn’t at the show. I must message her and get the skinny on why and, also, wut up with all the unfortunate changes in the show’s choices of artisans and pricing. I betcha she can clue me in to other, better art fests too!

No comments:

Post a Comment