Search This Blog

Thursday, May 9, 2019

The Show Goes On

Maybe this is just me. I get totally stressed out when doing financial aid applications.

Now that I’m in line for a PROSE lens (though NOT officially accepted YET) I’ve had word from the Patient Insurance Coordinator over there. He’s let me know what my insurance will and won’t cover on this whole shebang.

In case I didn’t mention it already, this is a long-ass process. I’m getting a prosthetic cornea to go over my wonk-ass cornea. This means the techs gotta be mega plus wicked exact in their measurements and shit. The fit’s got to be ultra perfect.

The Corneas-R-Us office is in a western ‘burb of Boston – about an hour away from us'ns in Valhalla. The initial “fitting” and how-to-use/wear/care-for-your-PROSE session is an eight hour a day/five days in a row deal.

My insurance covers the lens itself but NOT the week of calculations, calibrations and instruction. That’s, natürlich, the most expensive part of all this. So, I’m gonna be holding the bag for the bulk of this very tiny, eye saving device. $3,200 to be all precise and shit. OUCH! That doesn’t include the cost of, say, a hotel.

Why would we want or need a hotel when BostonSight’s just an hour away? That’s an hour (at least) EACH way through rush hour traffic. I’m gonna be mondo stressed enough without having to spend two+ hours every day for a week, in crazy ass, crawling rush hour traffic.
An aside: why is it called rush hour – the damned heinous glut of traffic lasts more like three to four hours (on either end of the day). AND if I’m on 93 or 95, rush is pretty much an all day event.
BostonSight provides financial aid for qualified applicants so, OF COURSE, I’m applying. They do payment plans too.

I’m also hoping for a break on my gym (the Y) membership. I’ve got an appointment there this morning. I *think* I’ve got all my paperwork in order. Actually..strike that. I’m pretty sure I'm missing important bits but am HOPING they’ll let it slide. Prolly won’t. This just means that I’ll need to find and collect more shit and reapply. WHY am I NOT more prepared? ‘Cause anticipation is crazy-making and derailing – I just wanna jump in, break the ice, start the process and fly.

I’m gonna get the PROSE whether they cut me slack on the bill or not (it’s that or I lose the eye – kind of a no brainer, ya know?) I’ll most likely keep my Y membership too.

So WHY do I get all nervous? Submitting ALL my very personal financial info makes me feel all naked and shit (not in a good, fun way either). Plus, if I’m denied grace on the bills, I’m gonna have to think mega hard on where/what to cut out of my already tight budget. This is not a thrilling prospect.

This morning I’m trying to get my mellow on. All this financial shit is just ones and zeroes, right? I can do this.

The Show Must Go On – Queen

2 comments:

  1. Have you asked the clinic if there are other options for lodging? Or asking the hotel for a break on the cost? All they can do is say no. Give people a chance to help you and I bet you will find it. God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I haven't asked the clinic (thinking, at first, that I'd just drive) and I bet'cha they do deals with local hotels. Folks fly in from everywhere for the PROSE lens.

      Delete