Search This Blog

Wednesday, March 25, 2020

Desperately Seeking

The Humor Beast
MUST HAVE HUMOR NOW!
 
A person without a sense of humor is like a wagon without springs. It’s jolted by every pebble on the road.
 ~ Henry Ward Beecher

I was looking for some goddamn lightness and levity this morning. I needs
some motherfucking laughs, mes amis!

I found some! Arabs Are Not Funny part of Arts Canteen and Arab Women Artists Now is/was a series of shows featuring stand up Arab comics

I wish there was a full transcript of this show. YouTube subtitling is NOT exactly consistent OR accurate.

Of what I could find and read, the stand out of all the stand ups, for me, was Laila Alj with her dry quip:
I’m only finding joy in the misery of other people... these days I enjoy coughing in public places and watching the panic unfold around me.
Yup, she’s captured precisely how I'm feeling this morning.

I also found Dan Hurwitz, a Seattle comic, director and clerk at a fancy-schmancy upscale grocery.
On TV, you see people fighting over something at Costco like toilet paper. Here, people are going crazy for grass-fed, free-range organic beef. It’s a weird upper-middle-class apocalypse.
He also says that:
...the coronavirus quarantine is a lot like Passover: you stay home and wash your hands a lot.
Today, the first full day of the extra heightened lock down, I’m anticipating a full schedge of hand washing, PT exercises, staring at the bay from my front window and then more hand washing.

Humor is just another defense against the universe.
~ Mel Brooks

When humor goes, there goes civilization.
~ Erma Bombeck
Marshall Ramsey
Marshall Ramsey
Ken Catalino
Dan Wasserman