Search This Blog

Wednesday, March 18, 2020

Strategizing

I GOTTA keep front and center of the old bean that the reason everything’s shut for the next few weeks, if not longer, is to stem/slow the spread of the virus. We have NOT yet gone all Mad Max.

Given that I’m one of those special flowers – over 60 AND immunocompromised (I'm two+ months down the road and STILL recovering from that pesky brain surgery) – staying home and outta crowds is pretty key. BUT I’ve basically been home, with few exceptions, for over two months now. This shit gets dull, ya know?  I was just into the very beginning of being able to go to the gym for regular, if light, workouts and now that’s gone. OR is it?


Warm temps are coming. Today will be up in the low 50s. I can go for a walk along the seawall withOUT having to don 50 bazillion layers. Mebbe I can even get down on the beach to take some pics of purty shells.

Beto O’Rourke sent ‘round a good column written by 16 national health care leaders, none are part of pResident Incompetent Evil’s crew of sycophantic toadies. The post contains recommendations for regular folks, state and local leaders and health care workers (AKA health care heroes).


What other sanity saving things can I do during this scary isolation?


There’s always reading. Yes, the library’s closed for a few weeks and the closest bookstore (a Barnes and Noble), at last check, had a MUCH smaller remainders section (AKA hardcovers and paperbacks that didn’t fly off the shelves so are now offered at please-take-me-home prices).


The RiverRun Bookstore (a total fave of mine) will have a selection of two dollar books (usually saved for Market Square Day). They’re totes aware that us gig workers are suffering from a wicked dearth of income right now and say “If $2 is still too expensive, talk to Tom and I'm sure he will make you a deal.” Road trip?

Is it just me or do some of these worms look a bit penile?
And painting. This cartoon has given me some inspiration. I wanna paint a few portraits of Medusa. Ya know, maybe one with gummy worms instead of writhing snakes for hair. In another, the snakes could be all neon and shit. Maybe one more with Twizzler hair?

I can  spend more time exploring the cool shit featured on Colossal, like Dan Hoopert’s Waiting to be Found vid. This magical short film dives into the details within Earth’s minerals. The United Kingdom-based designer highlights the sprawling crystallization process as it expands within each deposit and alters its colors. I always find fascinating stuff at Colossal.

Also too, to get through this time of panic and hysteria inspiring Scheiße, I’ve GOT to keep my usually muscular sense of humor at the ready. I CAN do this! DO recall that, upon waking after six hours of brain surgery, I responded to the lovely nurse's query, can I get you anything, with, a Hot Toddy please. 


OK, so maybe I wasn’t joking around.

No comments:

Post a Comment