Search This Blog

Tuesday, June 23, 2020

News

Well, I finally got the word on my thoracic spine MRI results. I need to make an appointment with my fab surgeon, Doctor Coumans. I am, how can I best phrase this…NOT BLOODY HAPPY ABOUT THIS IN THE GODDAMNED LEAST!!!!

Last night I was très sad, panicked and feeling majorly bleak. This morning? I’m as calm as I ever get, coming up with pre-surgery and recovery To Do lists and hoping like fuck that I can get in to see the good cutter within the week and get into the OR within the month.

I suspect that’s unrealistic given the Trump Plague BUT I’m hoping. I’ve sent the good Doc a note/request via Patient Gateway and Jen will call the office later this morning.

All I can do now is wait. I fucking HATE waiting!

One thing I’d like to know is why, oh motherfucking WHY, do these blasted tumors lie doggo for years upon years. Then, all of a sudden there’s fresh, bullshit growth every six months. Lemme just tell you, this is stupid as Hell on its best days.

Meanwhile, in Plagueville
The major thrust of new coronavirus cases in the United States is in the South and West, where officials say more young people are ignoring social distancing measures and testing positive. 
Young people are more likely to have milder outcomes from coronavirus, but they can still infect others who are more at risk. 
"With younger age of recent infections in at least some places such as Florida, expect a lower death rate in this wave ... until the 20-40 year olds who are infected today go on to infect others," Dr. Tom Frieden, former director of the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, said on Twitter. (source)
I get it – the young’uns all feel like they’re gonna live forever so fuck those masks and that social distancing shit.  Consider this, if you’re unfortunate enough to catch Trump’s Plague, you, as a wonderfully young and alive 22 year old bee, may well survive BUT will you still be able to do grand jetés down 5th Avenue, on Nantasket, across the Common at 30?
Currently, it's estimated as few as 5% and as many as 80% of Covid-19-positive patients are asymptomatic or have mild cases of the illness that take days or weeks for symptoms to emerge—and many have no symptoms after two weeks,…
~~~
Physicians report that patients hospitalized for Covid-19 are experiencing high rates of blood clots that can cause strokes, heart attacks, lung blockages, and other complications, Parshley reports. 
For instance, physicians are seeing an uptick in strokes among young patients with Covid-19.
The blood clots also can travel to other organs, leading to ongoing health problems.
(source
Maybe not.

Now that I’m MORE immunocompromised than I’d thought, my determination to stay away from people has grown. Yeah, it gets lonely here BUT a glass of the grape and a plate 'o' veg tempura at my local watering hole AIN'T worth the risk. We aren’t seeing a “second wave” – we’ve not finished the first one yet.

4 comments:

  1. Sorry to hear about the meningioma. I went through this via the good wife (of 41 years), it wasn't easy. For her the grand mal seizure was the clue (both times), but we were lucky enough to have excellent insurance. The first time was about 13 years ago. She went through neuro-surgery on her left temporal lobe and recovered quickly. But it came back. The second surgery was 3 years ago, same place. The second surgeon thought it hadn't been fully excised the first time and just grew back. The second surgeon was far more accomplished than the first one (who's retired now). If you live in the Portland, OR area I can give you his name. The surgery isn't simple, but the skill set and technology have advanced to an impressive degree. You will do well and recover quickly. Hopefully you haven't had any seizures. Best of luck to you and yours...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much and NO, this totally ain't easy. No seizures this time around but I had them before the last two spine slice-ups.

      I'm in Boston and my team (of the last 40 years – actually this is Donna's Team: The Next Generation) is at Mass General. I'm wild about both my spine cutter (Jean Valery Coumans – GREAT name) and my brain guy (Fred Barker – sounds like the manager of a dry goods store, eh?).

      How's your wife now?

      Delete
  2. She's doing really well. In the hospital for three days, then home for recoup. She was back to her old self not long after. It's been three years now. She's had annual MRI's except for this year (dang Covid-19), but they will schedule her when appropriate. Sounds like you have a great hospital and staff at Boston Mass General, you should do well...

    ReplyDelete