Search This Blog

Friday, January 7, 2022

Fluff Day

It’s a snowy morning here in Valhalla. Not blizzard-y but enough to make the morning commute dicey and annoying. The good news, for me, is that I get to stay inside, warm and cozy. The bad news? I want to be outside, rushing to the seawall camera in hand, taking pics as the flakes fall into the waves. 

Why can’t I pull this off? I’ve yet to kit out the wheelchair with snow tires and chains. Also too, Jen, Ten, Oni and Coco would not be having any of that nonsense…partypoopers.

Jen dashed out for a few solid shots before she and Oni started shoveling out the drive. Sadly, they can’t work from home today. This is just ridiculously unfair. Snowstorm days, especially when they fall on a Friday, are meant for reading in comfy chairs, enveloped in fleece blankets, sipping hot toddies while munching on gingerbread cookies fresh from the oven.

I’m pretty sure that’s in the Constitution.

Imagine if fire extinguishers were full of snow. Imagine the fun we could have.
~ Neil Hilborn

As he looked out and saw the grey landscape through the gently falling snow, he could not help thinking how much better it would be if people could go to sleep like the fields; could be blanketed down under the snow, to wake with their hurts healed and their defeats forgotten.
~ Willa Cather, One of Ours

A lot of people like snow. I find it to be an unnecessary freezing of water.
~ Carl Reiner

Unsurprisingly, this song is in my bean right now:

We come from the land of the ice and snow
From the midnight sun where the hot springs flow
The hammer of the gods
Will drive our ships to new lands
To fight the horde, sing and cry
Valhalla, I am coming
Sure, they’re singing about Iceland, not New England, but…emmm…so? It’s snowy and cold in both Reykjavik and Boston today. I’m sure I had some logical, insightful point to make here but, whatever it was, it’s slipped away.

//shrugs//

I only mention it but Led Zeppelin’s Immigrant Song came out in November of 1970. Yup, that’s nearly FIFTY TWO years ago. Yes thank you, I do in fact feel wickedly old now.


No comments:

Post a Comment