Search This Blog

Sunday, December 31, 2017

Highlights from a Spent Year

In January of 2017…
Jen and I marched, here in Boston, along with 175,000 or more like minded beautiful people.

I saw Hidden Figures. If you haven’t seen this Brill City flick yet… well, what the fuck you waiting for? Hmmm?

I ranted about the incredibly deranged and far less charming Fitzcarroldo and discovered some of his, not terribly distant, relations

I also decided that I really DO want to be a vampire.

In February
I learned some very useful new words.

And got through my first Valentine’s Day without the love of my life

In March
I tried to focus on things that are good.

Rocco moved on to the big catnip field in the sky. Jen shared some memories of our handsome, odd, good boy. 

In April
Ten months after he’d taken his last breath, I let go of TAB’s ashes – Rocco’s too. We planted cherry trees. They each have their own. TAB is in a Black Tartarian. Rocco’s in the Bing.

I got happily lost in Lingo Land that month.

And I had eye surgery. Got to wear my pirate patch! Yea!

In May
Jen and Oni were Way Out West where they discovered, amongst other things, that Salt Lake City is unbeautiful, Boise’s très expensive and Portland, Oregon is my spiritual home (yes, yezz, as is Valhalla, Reykjavik, Edinburgh, Berlin and Brattleboro, Vermont)

Earlier in the month the Fish Cheer was lodged in my bean. Of course it was!

In June
We went to see Wonder Woman a few dozen times or so and loved it every damn time too.

I also tried to answer Madison and Juliana’s question What happens when someone dies?  

In July
I celebrated my wonderful friends and, with their help, got through theone year anniversary day of The Amazing Bob’s exit stage left.
Friendship ... is born at the moment when one man says to another “What! You too? I thought that no one but myself . . .
~ C.S. Lewis, The Four Loves
I also made helpful suggestions, should you find yourself experiencing a lying sack of fool's gold-plated shit infestation.

In August
We were marching, (again), protesting the KKK, Nazis and the utterly Orwellian “Free Speech (as long as you’re white and support the Criminal in Chief)” asswipes.

My pal Bob Ray also chimed in.
If all you can be proud of is having white skin, I think you're a pretty sorry son of a bitch

In September
Jen and I were back in Iceland. This, my Silica Arcadia, is my happy place.

And, with an assist from Mister Twain and others, I ranted a bit.

A clear conscience is the sure sign of a bad memory.
~ Mark Twain

Or, in 45’s case, senile dementia. Of course.

In October
I tried and failed in my attempt to ignore the news.

In November
Rough month. Grief is a wave and I was down in Trough City. How can this be real, that TAB is no longer here?
That question, by the by, applies not only to The Amazing Bob being tragically absent but also to the state of our government and general political system.

And, finally, in December
I learned something very important about myself.

Despite being deaf, tippy and losing the very center of my being (TAB, don'cha know), I’m still a strong, independent, capable babe. I CAN still travel on my own AND, possibly more important, I can deflect weird-ass, unhappy bullshit. and make life into something prettier, more fun. I AM a resilient old stick.
Growth is painful. Change is painful. But nothing is as painful as staying stuck somewhere you don't belong.
~ Mandy Hale

2 comments:

  1. Happy New Year, Donna. No late night drinking for me, after staying home all week with daughter while my wife was up in Virginia, I pulled some strings and went into work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy New Year to you too! I hope work was calm and even a bit festive. Me? I was home with Jen, Oni and the cats and, as usual, alseep before the ball dropped :-)

      Delete